Cultural Diversity and Social Justice SMTE ASPA Meeting Minutes April 11, 2014
List of those present included below as Appendix A.
- Introduction of new co-facilitators
- Amanda Soto, University of Idaho, email@example.com
- Karen Salvador, University of Michigan-Flint firstname.lastname@example.org It is our goal to be of service to the group, coordinating and facilitating projects the group wishes to undertake.
- Update on ASPA projects from SMTE 2013
- Hess, Kruse, Palkki, Shevock Fighting Institutional Marginalization in Music Education Presented Friday 3-3:50
- McCall, Schmidt An Investigation of Cultural Capital and Musical Identity in Music Education Presented Friday 4-5:50.
- Kelly-McHale, Salvador Music Teacher Educator Perceptions of Social Justice [in progress]
- Glabman, Social Justice Research List [will appear on ASPA website]
- NAfME Strategic Plan
- Connie McKoy raised a concern regarding the NAfME Strategic Plan. In 2009, this document included an action plan for diversifying the teaching force and for broadening content in music education. This language has disappeared from the current NAfME strategic plan.
- Group consensus: this ASPA should write a public response. Dr. McKoy has agreed to chair a committee that will draft this response, circulate it for signatures from our group, and determine the appropriate person/method/venue/path to circulate this response for maximum productive impact.
- Members of this committee are listed below as Appendix B
- Website http://smte.us/aspas/cultural-diversity-in-music-teacher-education/
- Amanda Soto took us through the current website, solicited and collected written feedback regarding what the group would find helpful or useful. Additional feedback and suggestions for improvement of the website are welcomed.
- The CDSJ ASPA will begin hosting monthly webinars. Members of the ASPA will present on a topic of interest for approx. 15 minutes, and then facilitate discussion for another 15 minutes. We envision this as a way for members to share expertise and continue to connect with one another. We could also use these webinars to workshop our ideas in progress. Please let us know if you are interested in presenting a webinar—Amanda Soto will coordinate.
- Based on discussions in the workshop, we have also started a facebook page. Please join us… https://www.facebook.com/groups/852073408152822/
- Work Session
- Introductions of people in the group, including research interests.
- Based on these introductions, attendees self-selected into work groups. The following may not present a comprehensive list of projects these work groups are pursuing. Please contact Karen Salvador if I missed yours—
o Community-based/hip hip pedagogy/place o Incarcerated populations o Anti-capitalism dialog for MEJ o Quality of curriculum for exceptional learners—Impact of professional
development? o Culturally responsive pedagogy—gathering teaching strategies/materials o Multicultural music—from the margins into the “mainstream” Projects and groupings are fluid—if you are interested in joining or splintering, just keep us posted so we can update the website—and maybe add you to the webinar list.
- For action:
- response to strategic plan
- projects listed above
- propose/present/attend a webinar
- engage in conversation/share resources on the FB page. Amanda will use posts from FB to build our list of resources on our ASPA website.
- Please, when you see a great source [Includes videos, blogs, articles, books, infographics, etc] shoot them over to us on the FB page or by email [link or cite] to add to the webpage.
- Also, if you have a teaching activity to share, please send a short paragraph and contact info.
- Hope to see all of you at SMTE 2016
Recorded and submitted by Karen Salvador
Appendix A Attendees CDSJ SMTE ASPA Meeting April 11, 2014
Alphabetical-last name: Michael Albertson, Teacher’s College email@example.com Julie Bannerman, SUNY Potsdam firstname.lastname@example.org Vincent Bates, Weber State Univ. email@example.com Loneka Battiste, LSU-headed to U. Tenn. Knoxville firstname.lastname@example.org Maggie Corfield, Montgomery Co. MD PS email@example.com Gregory Drane, Penn State firstname.lastname@example.org John Egger, University of Kentucky email@example.com Stephen Eubanks, U. Missouri, Columbia firstname.lastname@example.org Seth Glabman, U of Maryland email@example.com Ruth Gurgel, Kansas State Univ. firstname.lastname@example.org Juliet Hess, Syracuse email@example.com Adam Kruse, MSU-headed to U. Illinois firstname.lastname@example.org Danelle Larson, Eastern Illinois email@example.com Joyce McCall, Arizona State firstname.lastname@example.org Connie McKoy, UNC Greensboro email@example.com Bryan Nichols, U. Akron firstname.lastname@example.org Joshua Palkki, Michigan State email@example.com Jaclyn Paul, Texas Tech University Jaclyn.firstname.lastname@example.org Joshua Renick, NYC Dept of Education email@example.com Christopher Roberts, U. of Washington firstname.lastname@example.org Kathy Robinson, University of Alberta email@example.com Karen Salvador, U. of Michigan, Flint firstname.lastname@example.org Colleen Sears, The College of New Jersey email@example.com Dan Shevock, Penn State DJS541@psu.edu Raychl Smith, Minnesota State, Moorehead firstname.lastname@example.org Amanda Soto, U. Idaho email@example.com Amy Spears, Florida Atlantic firstname.lastname@example.org Mackie Spradley, Dallas ISD TCU Center for Public Ed email@example.com Brian Sullivan, University of Illinois firstname.lastname@example.org Judith Sullivan, Tennessee Tech email@example.com Darrin Thornton, Penn State firstname.lastname@example.org Jason D. Thompson, Northwestern email@example.com Jose Torres, University of North Texas firstname.lastname@example.org
Appendix B Committee to Draft Response to NAfME Strategic Plan
Listed in order from the sign-in sheet: Connie McKoy, Chair email@example.com Jose Torres firstname.lastname@example.org Joshua Resnick email@example.com Judith Sullivan Tennessee Tech firstname.lastname@example.org Colleen Sears email@example.com Michael Albertson firstname.lastname@example.org Loneka Battiste email@example.com Juliet Hess firstname.lastname@example.org Joshua Palkki email@example.com Kathy Robinson firstname.lastname@example.org Amy Spears email@example.com Maggie Corfield Maggie_corfieldfirstname.lastname@example.org Gregory Drane email@example.com