Cultural Diversity and Social Justice SMTE ASPA Meeting Minutes April 11, 2014
List of those present included below as Appendix A.
Introduction of new co-facilitators
It is our goal to be of service to the group, coordinating and facilitating projects the group wishes to undertake.
Update on ASPA projects from SMTE 2013
- Hess, Kruse, Palkki, Shevock Fighting Institutional Marginalization in Music Education Presented Friday 3-3:50
- McCall, Schmidt An Investigation of Cultural Capital and Musical Identity in Music Education Presented Friday 4-5:50.
- Kelly-McHale, Salvador Music Teacher Educator Perceptions of Social Justice
- [in progress]
- Glabman, Social Justice Research List [will appear on ASPA website]
NAfME Strategic Plan
- Connie McKoy raised a concern regarding the NAfME Strategic Plan. In 2009, this document included an action plan for diversifying the teaching force and for broadening content in music education. This language has disappeared from the current NAfME strategic plan.
- Group consensus: this ASPA should write a public response. Dr. McKoy has agreed to chair a committee that will draft this response, circulate it for signatures from our group, and determine the appropriate person/method/venue/path to circulate this response for maximum productive impact.
- Members of this committee are listed below as Appendix B
- Amanda Soto took us through the current website, solicited and collected written feedback regarding what the group would find helpful or useful. Additional feedback and suggestions for improvement of the website are welcomed.
- The CDSJ ASPA will begin hosting monthly webinars. Members of the ASPA will present on a topic of interest for approx. 15 minutes, and then facilitate discussion for another 15 minutes. We envision this as a way for members to share expertise and continue to connect with one another. We could also use these webinars to workshop our ideas in progress. Please let us know if you are interested in presenting a webinar—Amanda Soto will coordinate.
- Based on discussions in the workshop, we have also started a facebook page. Please join us… https://www.facebook.com/groups/852073408152822/
- Introductions of people in the group, including research interests.
- Based on these introductions, attendees self-selected into work groups. The following may not present a comprehensive list of projects these work groups are pursuing. Please contact Karen Salvador if I missed yours—
- Community-based/hip hip pedagogy/place
- Incarcerated populations
- Anti-capitalism dialog for MEJ
- Quality of curriculum for exceptional learners—Impact of professional development?
- Culturally responsive pedagogy—gathering teaching strategies/materials
- Multicultural music—from the margins into the “mainstream”
Projects and groupings are fluid—if you are interested in joining or splintering, just keep us posted so we can update the website—and maybe add you to the webinar list.
- response to strategic plan
- projects listed above
- propose/present/attend a webinar
- engage in conversation/share resources on the FB page. Amanda will use posts from FB to build our list of resources on our ASPA website.
- Please, when you see a great source [Includes videos, blogs, articles, books, infographics, etc] shoot them over to us on the FB page or by email [link or cite] to add to the webpage.
- Also, if you have a teaching activity to share, please send a short paragraph and contact info.
- Hope to see all of you at SMTE 2016 Recorded and submitted by Karen Salvador
Attendees CDSJ SMTE ASPA Meeting April 11, 2014
Michael Albertson, Teacher’s College firstname.lastname@example.org
Julie Bannerman, SUNY Potsdam email@example.com
Vincent Bates, Weber State Univ. firstname.lastname@example.org
Loneka Battiste, LSU-headed to U. Tenn. Knoxville email@example.com
Maggie Corfield, Montgomery Co. MD PS firstname.lastname@example.org
Gregory Drane, Penn State email@example.com
John Egger, University of Kentucky firstname.lastname@example.org S
tephen Eubanks, U. Missouri, Columbia email@example.com
Seth Glabman, U of Maryland firstname.lastname@example.org
Bryan Nichols, U. Akron email@example.com
Joshua Palkki, Michigan State firstname.lastname@example.org
Jaclyn Paul, Texas Tech University Jaclyn.email@example.com
Joshua Renick, NYC Dept of Education firstname.lastname@example.org
Christopher Roberts, U. of Washington email@example.com
Kathy Robinson, University of Alberta firstname.lastname@example.org
Karen Salvador, U. of Michigan, Flint email@example.com
Colleen Sears, The College of New Jersey firstname.lastname@example.org
Dan Shevock, Penn State DJS541@psu.edu
Raychl Smith, Minnesota State, Moorehead email@example.com
Amanda Soto, U. Idaho firstname.lastname@example.org
Amy Spears, Florida Atlantic email@example.com
Mackie Spradley, Dallas ISD TCU Center for Public Ed firstname.lastname@example.org
Brian Sullivan, University of Illinois email@example.com
Committee to Draft Response to NAfME Strategic Plan
Listed in order from the sign-in sheet:
Joshua Resnick firstname.lastname@example.org
Judith Sullivan Tennessee Tech email@example.com
Colleen Sears firstname.lastname@example.org
Michael Albertson email@example.com
Loneka Battiste firstname.lastname@example.org
Juliet Hess email@example.com
Joshua Palkki firstname.lastname@example.org
Kathy Robinson email@example.com
Amy Spears firstname.lastname@example.org
Maggie Corfield Maggie_corfieldemail@example.com
Gregory Drane firstname.lastname@example.org