Society for Music Teacher Education Handbook
Compiled by George N. Heller
July 9, 1994
Updated July 2004
The Executive Committee
Rosemary Watkins, Chair Nancy Boone, Michael Cleveland, Louis Hall, George N. Heller, Barbara Lewis, and Mary Lou Van Rysselberghe
Membership in the Society
The State Units of the Society
The members of the state units within the Music Educators National Conference constitute an entity within the Society. The basic function of a state unit is to serve the needs of the state members of the Society and of the state association. Each state unit functions on behalf of and in the name of the Society for Music Teacher Education.
A state chair for music teacher education coordinates the state unit. Typically, the state president appoints the state chair for music teacher education, and the terms of the two officers coincide. Some states practice other methods of appointment and service and terms of office may vary from state to state.
The duties of the state chair for music teacher education include, but are not limited to the following:
(1) Identifying individuals or groups interested or active in music teacher education; (2) Gathering information about current music teacher education activities or interests and disseminating such information to interested persons and the state music educators association membership; (3) Providing assistance to such individuals and groups and the state association membership in matters concerning music teacher education; (4) Planning sessions on music teacher education at state association meetings; and (5) Serving as the contact between the state association membership and the Division and National Chair of the Society.
Duties and Responsibilities of Chair, Chair-Elect, and Past Chair
The Chair will perform the following duties:
- Represent the organization as an arm of MENC in matters related to music teacher preparation
- Maintain communication with MENC regarding the Society for Music Teacher Education and issues of music teacher preparation
- Maintain communication with the SMTE Executive Committee
- Take leadership in establishing long-term goals for the organization
- Monitor action on major issues and policies affecting teacher education on national level
- Promote the organization and its involvement in issues of concern regarding preparation of music teachers
- Write “From the Chair” column for all issues of Journal of Music Teacher Education (fall, spring)
- Communicate with Editor of JMTE regarding ongoing functioning of the Journal
- Chair SMTE Executive Committee meetings at the MENC National Biennial Conference: nominations for Executive Committee, approval of nominations for JMTE Editorial Committee, updates of SMTE Handbook and correlation with MENC Bylaws, other issues related to teacher preparation
- Work with Past Chair in planning National Conference sessions and setting long-term goals.
- Foster national dialogue and involvement in the teacher education process.
The Chair Elect will perform the following duties:
- Communicate with MENC office in keeping current records of state teacher education chairs and SMTE membership
- Oversee SMTE presence on MENC website
- Coordinate work of division chairs in communicating with membership and encouraging SMTE involvement in state and divisional conferences
- Monitor progress of SMTE in current issues at state levels
The Past Chair will perform the following duties:
- Cooperate with the Chair in setting long-term goals and in planning National Conference sessions.
- Seek to increase participation in SMTE at conferences