If you would like to receive emails regarding the Policy ASPA’s activities, please contact the facilitators.
Group MembershipRegister or login to your account on this site to add this group to your SMTE profile.
The purpose of the Policy ASPA is to increase policy awareness within music education and to build music educators’ capacity for policy analysis, development, and implementation.
If you would like to stay informed on policy issues, like our Facebook page!
Upcoming Webinar – Programs, Practices, and Policies: Incorporating PK in Music Teacher Education
Please join a webinar on Programs, Practices, and Policies: Incorporating PK in Music Teacher Education presented by Suzanne Burton, Alison Reynolds, and Wendy Valerio hosted by the Policy ASPA.
April 22, 2016 at 10:00am EDT.
Join by clicking here. Use your microphone and speakers (VoIP) – a headset is recommended.
Or you can call in: Dial +1 (408) 650-3123 – Access Code: 949-391-421
Audio PIN: Shown after joining the meeting – Meeting ID: 949-391-421
We hope to “see” you there!
January 25, 2016 ESSA Policy Webinar Information
Attendees at the Policy ASPA’s working session during the 2015 SMTE Symposium identified four action items that define our agenda for the next two years:
- Action Item #1: Position the SMTE Policy ASPA as a collective that provides NAfME with white papers, policy analyses, and other information in order to inform NAfME’s legislative, policy, and advocacy agenda.
- Action Item #2: Collaborate with SMTE membership and APSAs, providing pertinent resources and information regarding policy in support of their efforts.
- Action Item #3: Serving as a clearing house for information relating to current and future policy issues.
- Action Item #4: Provide teachers, administrators, and teacher educators with opportunities to get information about and engage with policy.
- Richerme, L.K., Aguilar, C.E., Kos, R., Hellman, D., Prendergast, J., Helton, B. (2016, March). Preservice teacher evaluation policy and practices colloquium. NAfME Music Research and Teacher Education Conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Aguilar, C.E., Schmidt, P., Burton, S.L., Hellman, D., Rechel, L. (2016, March). Political action in music education colloquium. NAfME Music Research and Teacher Education Conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Dye, C.K. & Aguilar, C.E. (2016, March) Changing Licensure Requirements: Issues and Implications for Teacher Mobility and Reciprocity. Paper presented at the NAfME Music and Research Teacher Education Conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Aguilar, C.E. & Richerme, L. K. (2016). A descriptive study of music teacher educators’ beliefs about policy, Journal of Music Teacher Education, 25(2), 37-49.
Dye, C. K. & Richerme, L. K. (2015, September). Music educators and policy: An examination of knowledge, engagement, trust, and efficacy. Paper presented at the Society for Music Teacher Education Conference, Greensboro, NC.
- Aguilar, C. & Richerme, L. (2014). What is everyone saying about teacher evaluation?: Framing the intended and inadvertent consequences of Race to the Top. Arts Education Policy Review, 115(4), 110-120.
- Aguilar, C.E., Richerme, L.K. (2014, July). A Descriptive Study of Music Teacher Educators’ Beliefs about Policy. Research presentation at the 2014 International Society for Music Education, Natal, Brazil.
- Kos, R., Aguilar, C.E., Dye, C., Hellman, D., Robinson, M., Schmidt, P. (2014, April). Hot Policy Topics Affecting Music Teacher Education: A Panel Discussion about Teacher Evaluation. Panel presentation at the 2014 Biennial Music Educators National Conference, St. Louis, MO.
- Aguilar, C.E., Miksza, P., & Richerme, L. K. (2013, September). Navigating pathways for music teacher education and current policy trends. Best practices paper presentation at the Society for Music Teacher Education Conference, Greensboro, NC.
Richerme, L. K. (2013, February). Policy 101. Workshop presented at the Massachusetts Music Educators Association Conference, Boston, MA.
Aguilar, C. E., & Richerme, L. K. (2012, March). Diving at the finish line: The possible implications of Race to the Top for music education. Research poster presented at the 2012 Biennial Music Educators National Conference, St. Louis, MO.
Kos, R. P., Schmidt, P. K., Aguilar, C. E., Orzolek, D., & Hamann, K. (2012, March). Policy 101: Understanding, implementing, and influencing education policy. Panel presentation at the Biennial Music Educators National Conference, St. Louis, MO.
Schmidt, P. K., Orzolek, D. C., Kos, R. P., Richerme, L. K., & Holcomb, A. (2012, March). Nobody told me that!!! Policy 101 or learning leadership. Panel presentation at the Biennial Music Educators National Conference, St. Louis, MO.
The term “policy” has many meanings and many uses.
NAfME is making an effort to reach out to the music education policy research community.
Help us build a comprehensive bibliographic resource for policy related studies. Contact the facilitators.