As part of the 2017 Symposium on Music Teacher Education, we are pleased to announce the Career Mentoring Workshops. These workshops are a continuation of the inaugural SMTE/SRME Early Career Mentoring Workshop sponsored by the Music Teacher Educators ASPA and presented at the 2016 NAfME Music Research and Teacher Education national conference in Atlanta. A main focus will be to mentor doctoral students who are applying for their first positions in higher education. Workshop content also will be expanded to address the mentoring needs of music teacher educators already in higher education positions (i.e., those at early-, mid-, and later-career stages).
Approximately thirty music education professors at various career stages and representing different types of institutions will be available for small-group or one-on-one mentoring at roundtables. The workshop format will be “open house”; attendees are encouraged to come and go as their schedules permit 7:30am – 8:50am on Friday and/or Saturday during the Symposium.
SMTE 2017 Symposium attendees may “build your own” career mentoring from one or more of the following roundtable topics:
- Applying for a Position in Higher Education (CVs, cover letters, supplemental materials)
- Interviewing for a Position in Higher Education (presentations, questions to ask, negotiating the offer)
- Pursuing Scholarly Writing and Publication
- Navigating Tenure at Teaching Institutions
- Navigating Tenure at Research Institutions
- Achieving Promotion from Associate to Full
- Balancing Research Productivity with Teaching and Service
- Maintaining Work-Life Balance
- Establishing a Mentoring Network Across Institutions for Lone MTEs
- Other Topics TBD
Members of the Music Teacher Educators ASPA invite all SMTE 2017 Symposium attendees to take advantage of this opportunity as a mentor and/or mentee. Please direct any questions to Music Teacher Educators ASPA Facilitator Molly Weaver at firstname.lastname@example.org.